In preparation for a commissioned oil painting, I researched and learned to make, and tube my own oil paint. I had been unsatisfied with toxicity of affordable, artist grade, oil paints for a long time. The paint that resulted less harmful to my respiratory system, and allows me to paint at home.
I performed many controlled tests to better understand the process of making paint. An oil putty recipe (courtesy of https://www.tadspurgeon.com) allowed me to get more paint from the pigment while controlling the ingredients.
Above, I tested several different brands of the same color, Ultra Marine Blue. This was to test the color and flow qualities of cheap, mid-range, and high-end oil colors against what I could make at home.
Below I worked to achieve color accuracy with paint mixed from raw pigments. 
The image with the four squares compares a vinyl collage (top and bottom left) with color matched oil paintings (top and bottom right).
Below: I built a glass pallet on a rolling cart, and organized my oils, powders, and pigments into some glass containers. I also did a medium sized test painting to make sure the new systems and paint worked well.
Finally, I built frames, stretched and primed a canvas, and made my painting. This painting was a trade for services. Believe it or not, this painting made it possible for me to pay off a $50k student loan balance.
Back to Top